Thursday, January 20, 2011

"Stained Glass" Valentine

So over at one of my favorite blogs, Flower Patch Farmgirl, she created some really pretty melted-wax, stained glass hearts. I couldn't resist this super fun craft! So, tonight, I went in the basement and rummaged for a box of crayons. I picked out some pinks, reds, oranges, and purples, and after stripping them of their paper clothes began to shave them with a little plastic crayon sharpener.


Well, after a crayon or two, my little sharpener broke. So, next I used a butter knife. Now the shavings were too small, so I ended up cutting pieces off with a pair of scissors. This worked nicely! After I had an assortment of wax shavings, I sprinkled them on a sheet of parchment paper. (The first time, I used a lot of wax and the hearts came out thicker and darker. The second time 'round I went light on the shavings and the hearts are more pastel.)


After applying another sheet of parchment over the crayon pieces, I took a hot iron and ran it over the surface. Immediately those little pieces of wax spread into a gorgeous, multi-colored design. I moved the iron around until I had a large, flat piece of wax.


After letting it cool, I drew hearts on the paper and cut them out with scissors. Using a toothpick I punched holes in them and am stringing them up with thread to hang from my kitchen window. These are soooo easy to make and they really are pretty when you put a light up behind them. You should all try this fun craft! I can hopefully get a picture of them tomorrow when the morning sun comes in my window. :)
Thank you Flower Patch Farmgirl for giving me the idea! :)




8 comments:

  1. CUTE! I member making those in school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm kind of obsessed with Valentine's Day so I'm totally gonna have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a good idea. Looking forward to seeing the photo of the heart with the light shining through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are soo cute!... who would have believed they were made from crayons?... xoxo Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally love it! I have a craft I am doing for Valentine's Day too. But it is a secret....shhhhhh. LYS

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is such a fun project. i'd love to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are adorable! I would love to try this. I think I might. :)

    <3Chelsea Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Older Posts