Monday, January 25, 2010

A Quiet Highway

I just got back from being on the road. I didn't have any set appointments today which was great. It's the first Monday in a long time that I haven't had at least one sampling home lined up. Instead, my houses start Wednesday this week so I have two days where I don't have to leave campus if I don't want to. Got antsy though, and took advantage of some of our employees needing supplies down the Bitterroot. Hopped in the car and headed south. I took the Eastside Highway for the scenery and enjoyed it. I was one of the only cars on the road. I love having no one behind me or in front of me. I just cruised and smiled at the cows I passed. Saw lots of hawks too. It's sunny down there, even though it is just barely above freezing. The fields are gold, if not covered in snow, and the blue mountains look wispy. There's one creepy tree that I love that sits right off of the highway on the east side. It died many-a-year ago, but the black trunk and 5 thick branches remain. Two of these are suspended over the highway like arms. I like this tree. It stands out drastically against the farmland and looks so wildly out of place. It also always reminds me that I'm just about to drop to 55 mph and enter Stevensville. :) Today on that tree, perched proudly, was another hawk. Looked fitting! My supply visit went quickly today (especially since my two contacts were out at lunch!) I left a lot of post-its and a pile of new stuff. Works for me! I hit up my favorite Hamilton deli and headed home. Nothing like a yummy sandwich, chips, and a soda. (And this time a nosy little cat won't sneak into my car and eat it!) My trip home was just as free and easy on another empty stretch of highway. So heavenly! I felt even more alone without my GPS unit today. I knew where I was going, so I definitely didn't need it, but I'm so used to glancing at it when I drive. It was nice to glance at nothing but front windshield. Using that thing can be great, but it is dulling my Road Intuition. I use it when I need a second opinion, and I don't go with my gut instinct anymore. I really gotta start turning it off! Well, back again, I was treated to a parking spot, which is a hot commodity when all the students come back. My man starts his last semester ever this week and I'm so proud of him. I can't wait for him to graduate and put this behind him. He wants so much to be done! I remember the feeling vividly. :) Alright, back to the grind behind the desk.


1 comment:

  1. I love the sound of your drives down the valley. I miss those. When I used to commute from Victor, I found it most pleasant. So many things to see. The mountains and meadows look different each time. Strange to think I drove those highways as a young woman and now you are doing the same thing in the same place. Cool.

    ReplyDelete

Older Posts